The East Looe Town Trust was established by Trust Deed in 1890 after the former East Looe Town Council ceased to exist. It was registered as a Charity in 1964 and was then regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 28 May 1980.
We became a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) on 5th May 2016. Our CIO number is 1166934. Visit the Charity Commission website and enter our number to view our information.
The primary purpose of the Trust is to administer, manage and maintain the property and land specified in the schedule attached to the Trust Deed, for the benefit of the people of Looe. This land and property includes owns open areas such as the East Looe Beach and Seafront and the Wooldown, as well as buildings, including the Old Guildhall and Gaol, which houses the Museum, the “new” (1878) Guildhall and a number of other properties.
The Trust is responsible for the maintenance of all these areas and buildings for the benefit of the community now and in the future. We have three members of staff, one in the office and two keeping the public areas looking attractive and the buildings in a proper state of repair. All of this can be expensive and we receive no grant from Cornwall Council or Looe Town Council for these purposes. Our income derives mainly from leases and the seafront carpark which, accompanied by constant downward pressure on costs, enable us (just) to balance the books. Where funds are available we make modest local charitable donations.
We are often surprised by some of the issues that we have to deal with like waste removal and bathing water quality but it all serves to keep us on our toes! We strive to work cooperatively with the town’s other bodies and the benefits of that are seen in developments like the Looe Bathing Water Quality Partnership.